Johann Ludwig Burckhardt Archaeology Centre
Project start and end dates: 1995-1996
Project Consultants: Middle East Engineering Management (MeeM) & Department of Antiquities (DOA)
Funded by: Jordanian-Swiss Counterpart Fund, Bilateral Committee
Project cost: JD 150,000 ($ 211,865)
In 1951 the Nazzal Camp was constructed in Petra based on a seasonal campsite that was established by Thomas Cook & Sons in 1931. The Nazzal Camp, a small 11-bedroom rest house was leased by Anton Nazzal from the Department of Antiquities (DOA) which he later expanded to include 45 tents. In 1977, the campsite was returned to the DOA who continued to use the building as a “dig house” to accommodate the growing number of visiting archaeologists.
Due to its seriously deteriorated state, PNT conducted a comprehensive rehabilitation of the dig house for the DOA. Renamed the Johann Ludwig Burckhardt Archaeology Centre, the building serves to commemorate the re-discovery of Petra in 1812 by the Swiss explorer J.L. Burckhardt and supports the scholars and archaeological missions that study and preserve the World Heritage Site of Petra.